Stay informed with eNews! - Receive information about programs, special events, community meetings, current Eco-City Alexandria events, and more. Subscribe to eNews category T&ES Environmental News.
OEQ performs the following tasks in an effort to achieve the environmental goals established in the City Council's Strategic Plan (Adopted 2004, Revised 2006 & 2010) which states that "Alexandria respects, protects and enhances the health of its citizens and the quality of its natural environment."
- Monitors air and water quality.
- Investigates pollution complaints.
- Reviews development plans with regard to water quality impacts.
- Ensures compliance with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act.
- Issues noise variance permits.
- Inspects stormwater management facilities.
- Supports open space preservation.
- Participates in stormwater management and watershed planning and restoration initiatives.
- Responds to citizen questions and concerns and provides information to the public on how to protect and improve the environment.
Additionally, OEQ advises and works with other City agencies and divisions on matters that impact the environment, and provides staff support to the City’s Environmental Policy Commission, which studies and makes recommendations on various projects and program initiatives that may have environmental impacts. The Commission meets on a monthly basis.