New Hours for Walk-In Service
Due to the surge in COVID-19 cases, the Treasury and Revenue Divisions of the Department of Finance are now open for walk-in service on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8 a.m. to noon.
This measure is being taken for everyone’s safety but we still offer many contactless options for payment and account adjustments, and Finance staff remain available online and by telephone Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Call us at 703.746.4800
- Payments can be made using the outside drop box on the Royal Street side of City Hall, available 24 hours a day.
- Pay by credit card or eCheck on the City's website at alexandriava.gov/Payments.
- Mail Car Tax payments to City of Alexandria, PO Box 34710, Alexandria, VA 22334-0710.
- Mail Business Personal Property Tax payments to City of Alexandria, PO Box 34901, Alexandria, VA 22334-0901.
- Email us:
Hardship Waivers for Second Half Real Estate Payments
While the COVID-19 pandemic has affected our entire community, the City recognizes that the financial impact on some taxpayers may be particularly substantial. If the COVID-19 pandemic has affected your ability to pay the full amount of the 2020 second installment of Real Estate Tax due by November 16, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your circumstances and learn about payment options.
On October 17, 2020, City Council passed a resolution granting some leniency for late payment penalties. Read the full resolution here.
Due Date Extension: Personal Property Tax Due Date (Car Tax and Business Personal Property Tax)
On September 8, 2020, the Alexandria City Council extended the Tax Year 2020 Personal Property payment due date from October 5, 2020 to December 15, 2020. Although the bills that have already been mailed are printed with an October 5, 2020, due date, taxpayers can ignore this date.
The new deadline for paying these taxes is December 15, 2020. Any payment received or postmarked by that date will be considered on-time and will incur no late payment penalties or interest. Late payment penalties and interest will begin on December 16, 2020.
Business Personal Property Tax Updates
- City Council’s BPP filing moratorium ended July 1. All businesses must file their 2020 BPP return by July 1 to be on-time.
- The moratorium also ended July 1 for Meals Tax and Transient Lodging Tax. Businesses who deferred payment must file and pay or contact the Revenue Division to arrange a payment plan.
- Late 2020 BPOL filings must also be made by July 1.
Interest Waiver for Certain Types of Taxes - Virginia Department of Taxation
The Virginia Department of Taxation has issued Tax Bulletin 20-5 which addresses an interest waiver for certain types of taxes in response to the COVID-19 crisis. Read the full bulletin here:
|I just want to pay|
New to the City?
Please take a look at our:
- Small, Women, and Minority-Owned Businesses - NEW!
- Short-Term Residential Rental Registry (Home Sharing)
- Tax Guide for New City Residents
- Tax Guide for New City Businesses
- Licensing and Tax Guide for Non-Profit Organizations
- Events, Courses, and Resources for City Businesses.
¿Necesita Ud. información sobre impuestos en español?
Por favor visite nuestra guía de impuestos en español.
The Administration Division is responsible for the overall management of the Finance Department and provides administrative and information technology support to other divisions.
The Revenue Administration Division assesses and enforces personal property, meal sales, transient lodging and other taxes; issues business and professional licenses, assists the community with state income tax questions and preparation. This Division also administers the City's real estate tax relief programs for the elderly and disabled.
- Personal Property Tax - 703.746.4800
Email - VehicleTax@alexandriava.gov
- Business Tax - 703.746.4800
Email - BusinessTax@alexandriava.gov
- Discovery and Collections - 703.746.4800
Discovery Email - RADAR@alexandriava.gov
Collections Email - Collections@alexandriava.gov
- Tax Relief - 703.746.4800
Email - TaxRelief@alexandriava.gov
The Treasury Division is responsible for the investment, disbursement, and collection of all City monies and sells such items as residential parking permits and bus passes.
- Payments - 703.746.4800
Email - Payments@alexandriava.gov
The Accounting Division maintains records on the financial operations of the City, prepares the City's monthly and annual financial reports, prepares checks to fulfill City obligations to vendors, maintains the City's employee payroll, manages miscellaneous billing, and monitors expenditures and revenues to determine budgetary compliance.
- Accounting - 703.746.3905
Email - AccountsPayable@alexandriava.gov
The Purchasing Division is responsible for centralized City procurement, including the processing of purchase orders and vendor list control. All City purchases exceeding $5,000 are made by the Purchasing Division through both formal and informal competitive bidding procedures.
- Purchasing - 703.746.4946
Email - Procurement@alexandriava.gov
The Pension Administration Division manages pension plans for City employees and uniformed service employees.
- Pension Administration - 703.746.3906
Email - Retirement@alexandriava.gov
Each year, the Office of Real Estate Assessments appraises each parcel of real estate in the City to assess its estimated fair market value. These values are used by the Department of Finance to bill for and collect the real estate tax, which accounts for about 60 percent of the City's annual revenue.
- Office of Real Estate Assessments - 703.746.4646
Email - RealEstate@alexandriava.gov
Risk Management is responsible for City's workers' compensation claims management, safety management, insurance management, and liability claims management for the City.
- Risk Management - 703.746.4549
Email - Risk.Management@alexandriava.gov