- Accessory Dwelling Unit Study
- Arlandria and Del Ray Plans Update
- Interim Wireless Facilities (Small Cell) Aesthetic Guidelines
- Joint City-ACPS Facilities Master Plan
- City Landscape Guidelines
- North Potomac Yard Implementation and Virginia Tech Innovation Campus
- Oakville Triangle Plan Proposed Amendments
- Small Business Zoning Updates
- U.S. Census 2020 - Alexandria Complete Count Committee
- FY 2019 Master Plan Status of Implementation Report
- FY 2020 Interdepartmental Long-Range Planning Draft Work Program Development
- Presentations and Awards
In an effort to continually improve customer experience, the City launched a new permitting and land use application system on Monday, November 4. Alexandria's Permitting & Land Use System (APEX) makes it easier for customers to apply and obtain permits and approvals electronically. Visit Permits & Land Use Applications for detailed information and instructions.
The Alexandria Master Plan is made up of 18 Small Area Plans covering neighborhoods throughout the city, plus chapters on key topics, such as Historic Preservation, Transportation, and Open Space. The Alexandria Master Plan was adopted by the City Council in 1992, and chapters are updated on an ongoing basis through Master Plan Amendments. More information.
The City of Alexandria has a strong commitment to citizen participation as evidenced by the number of citizen boards and commissions established by City Council. Planning and Zoning works closely with the Boards and Commissions listed on this page.
Alexandria continues to be a desirable location to live, work and play. The City’s collaborative development review process strives to balance quality development and the needs of the growing community. Visit this page for a complete list of active development projects, rezoning criteria, green building policy, and design guidelines. The following links may also be helpful: Development Resources | GIS Planning and Development Viewer | Dockets, Webcasts and Staff Reports
There are two locally regulated historic districts in the city: the Parker-Gray District and the Old & Historic Alexandria District. Find out more about the historic districts, the Boards of Architectural Review (BAR), and the types of requests that can be reviewed by staff by visiting this page. The following links may also be helpful: Historic Districts Map | BAR Applications & Instructions | Dockets, Webcasts, and Staff Reports | Design Guidelines & Policies
The Neighborhood Planning and Community Development division provides community-based long range planning and analysis regarding the physical development and appearance of the city; develops and implements the City's Interdepartmental Long Range Planning Work Program; manages plan implementation; and advises other agencies on land use, design, demographics, and other planning issues. More information.
Visit this page to find information about the City’s upcoming zoning initiatives, regulations pertaining to residential infill, additions, front porches and garages, or resources for small businesses and home occupations. The following links may also be helpful: Zoning Map | Zoning Ordinance | Dockets, Webcasts and Staff Reports | Applications and Forms
- Department staff can be contacted at any time between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday, by calling 703.746.4666. Or visit us at City Hall, 301 King Street, Room 2100.