The City of Alexandria is proposing a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system to provide high-capacity transit service using a combination of dedicated and shared lanes and high quality stations with rider amenities. The West End Transitway will connect major transit facilities - Van Dorn Metro Station, Mark Center Transit Center, Shirlington Transit Center, and the Pentagon Transit Center - and several neighborhoods along the corridor - Van Dorn/Landmark, a redeveloped Landmark Mall, and Beauregard. See Draft proposed build alternative here . In accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA), as amended, the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) as lead agency and the City of Alexandria as project sponsor are preparing an Alternatives Analysis (AA) and Environmental Documentation for the West End Transitway.
The AA/Environmental Documentation provides a detailed analysis of three Alternatives - No Build, Transportation Systems Management, and Build - and an environmental analysis of each proposed Alternative as required for the project to be eligible to receive federal funding. The proposed Transitway will provide residents and visitors with an alternative mode of travel that is fast, efficient, comfortable, and reliable. Local, regional, state, and Federal partners and the public be invited to participate in the AA/Environmental Documentation for the West End Transitway to help identify transit needs, evaluate tradeoffs, identify measures of success, and identify hurdles to overcome.
West End Transitway Project Flyer - Espanol
Project Update - Summer 2018
- Completion of Conceptual Design (posted below),
Acceptance into the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Project Development (PD) Program in July 2016,
Ongoing coordination with the FTA regarding development of the Environmental Documentation,
Finalizing the Alternatives Analysis Report (Fall 2016),
- Determination from the FTA that the west End Transitway Project meets the criteria of a Class II listed Categorical Exclusion as set forth in 23 CFR 771.118 (d) in April 2017,
- Continued efforts toward seeking grants toward design and construction, and
- Preparation to advance the project into the Design phase.
The project is in the beginning stages of design. The City has completed the AA and Environmental Documentation which was used to gather input through public meetings, focus groups and subject matter experts to inform transit improvement decisions for the West End Transitway.
West End Transitway Policy Advisory Group
On March 11, 2014, City Council passed a
to establish a Van Dorn/Beauregard Transitway Policy Advisory Group to provide input on key deliverables and make project recommendations related to the Van Dorn/Beauregard Transitway Alternatives Analysis (AA) / Environmental Documentation. The resolution allowed that group members may have differing opinions and not necessarily develop a consensus position, broker a compromise or take formal votes.
The Policy Advisory Group (PAG) reviewed and provided guidance on:
- Definition of the project purpose and need;
- Refinement of Alternatives;
- Evaluation measures and priorities;
- Evaluation results and determination of the LPA; and
- Results of the environmental analysis.
West End Policy Advisory Group Members
- Sam Stiebel, Developer Representative
- Christine Hoeffner, Transit Professional
- Albert Himes, Transit Professional
- Jim Durham, Community Representative
- Christa Cochran, Community Representative
- Richard Gear, Community Representative
- Dak Hardwick, Budget & Fiscal Affairs
- Jake Jakubek, Transportation Commission
- David Brown, Planning Commission
West End Transitway Meeting Materials:
December 3, 2015 - Sixth Meeting of PAG
- 6th PAG Meeting Presentation
- West End Transitway PAG Resolution of Support
- PAG Meeting #6 - Project Follow-up Fact Sheet
- Meeting Audio
- Meeting Video
May 28, 2015 - Fifth Meeting of PAG
- 5th PAG Meeting Presentation
- DRAFT West End Transitway Concept Engineering - Sheet 1
- DRAFT West End Transitway Concept Engineering - Sheet 2
- Proposed West End Transitway Street Cross Sections
- Meeting Video
December 18, 2014 - Fourth Meeting of PAG
October 23, 2014 - Third Meeting of PAG
October 22, 2014 – Second West End Transitway Public Meeting
September 18, 2014 - Second Meeting of PAG
May 22, 2014 – First West End Transitway Public Meeting
July 30, 2014 – First Meeting of PAG
For additional information, please contact Steve Sindiong, Transit Capital Program Manager, at 703.746.4047 or via email at email@example.com.