Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to the Court Service Unit’s Frequently Asked Questions below.

Page updated on Aug 1, 2016 at 4:12 PM


Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where is the Court Service Unit located?

Alexandria Courthouse

520 King Street

First floor

Alexandria, VA 22314

Main phone 703 746-4144

2. What are the Court Service Unit's hours of operation?

Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Walk-in Intake Services are available from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Closed Federal and Virginia State Holidays

3. What basic services does the Court Service Unit provide?

The Intake Unit takes information from the police or a person in order to process a matter through court. This includes: juvenile delinquent and Child in Need of Services (CHINS) complaints, custody and visitation issues, child support and protective orders.

The Probation Unit serves youth placed on probation or parole up to age 21. Learn more about Probation and Parole.

4. Who do I contact if my child is running away from home, out of control or not attending school?

If you or your child is in immediate danger, please call 911. To get help with runaway and out of control behavior, contact Juvenile Intake at 703-746-4144 to speak with an Intake Officer. For school attendance issues, contact your child’s school social worker. School information is available at

5. Who do I contact if my spouse or other family member abuses me or my children? How do I get a protective order? 

If you are in immediate danger contact the Alexandria Police Department by dialing 911. If you are afraid of your spouse or other family member, please contact the Alexandria Court Service Unit at 703-746-4144 or visit the office at the Courthouse to obtain a protective order or extend an emergency protective order. Also contact the Domestic Violence Hotline at 703-746-4911 for support, shelter and information about services they provide. For further questions about abuse and the services offered by the City, visit

6. How do I file for custody, visitation and/or child support? 

To file for custody, visitation or child support, please contact us at 703-746-4144 to speak with an Intake Officer. We must confirm that you are an Alexandria City resident in order to file. Typically, we require certain information from the person filing the petition. When you call to schedule your appointment, the Intake Officer will tell what you need to bring to an appointment. Walk-ins will not be able to file a petition on that same day, as appointments are required. There is also a $25 filing fee required at the time you file the petition with the Clerk’s office, payable by cash, check, money order or credit card.

7. Who do I contact if I cannot attend court? What if I do not know my next court date? 

Contact the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court Clerk’s Office at 703-746-4687.

8. I've been ordered to attend a parent education class. Who do I contact? 

Parents ordered by the Alexandria Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court in a custody and visitation case (FOCUS) should contact Debbie Ackerman at 703-746-4144.

9. Who do I contact if I am concerned about gangs and gang prevention services? 

Please contact Joe Regotti, Gang Prevention and Intervention Coordinator, at 703-746-4502 or email at  To get more information about the Intervention Program, please visit

10. Who do I contact if I feel my child needs a mentor? 

Contact the Alexandria Mentoring Partnership Coordinator at 703-746-4455 or If you would like to get involved, learn more about how to become a mentor or review the list of current Alexandria Mentoring Partnership programs, please visit