In 2002, an interdepartmental staff team and the
Open Space Steering Committee produced the City of Alexandria Open Space Master
Plan, establishing fifteen ambitious goals for protecting, enhancing and
expanding open space. The Open Space Plan established a framework to address the
City’s short and longer term open space needs by acknowledging and protecting
the City’s existing open spaces and identifying additional open space
opportunities for the future. City Council adopted
the Open Space Master Plan in 2003 and an interdepartmental work team developed
an action plan in 2004.
In addition, the City actively pursues outreach opportunities to increase public awareness of open space preservation. Recent and upcoming activities include conservation easement workshops, ongoing participation in civic association meetings, and regular updates in RPCA media outlets.
Please contact Dana Wedeles, Acting Principal Planner, for more information at 703.746.5491.
2003 Open Space Plan
- 2003 Open Space Plan
- Guide to Open Space in Alexandria
- Make a Tax-Deductible Contribution by eCheck to the Open Space Fund
- Open Space Steering Committee Report (part 1)
- Open Space Priorities and Opportunities (part 2)
2017 Updated Implementation Strategy
A Plan for Action 2017-2026
The City of Alexandria’s Open Space Master Plan 2017 Updated Implementation Strategy addresses the ongoing pressure to provide protected open space in a growing community. This update recognizes the City’s successes to date and the challenges inherent in continuing such successes. Working from the 2003 City Council adopted Open Space Master Plan recommendations, this implementation strategy makes recommendations for the next ten years with actions in support of the City’s desire to maintain appropriate acres of protected open space for its residents.
- Executive Summary
- Appendix 1 - Updated Mapping and Total Acreage Calculations
- Appendix 2 - Confirmation of Recordation of Public Access Easements
- Appendix 3 - Open Space Approved Since 2001
- Appendix 4 - Projected Population
- Appendix 5 - Active/Passive and Pervious/Impervious Acres
- Appendix 6 - SWOT Analysis