Eisenhower Avenue Widening and Roadway Improvement Project
State Project Number: U000-100-135
UPC Number: 77378
Road Construction Is Underway
Construction on the Eisenhower Avenue widening project started in December 2020. Learn more about the project, what to expect during construction, and additional information on specific topics of interest.
The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) is working with the Department of Project Implementation (DPI) on a roadway improvement project along Eisenhower Avenue between Mill Road and Holland Lane. The project is funded by State Urban funds.
View a video presentation about the project and improvements being made to Eisenhower Avenue.
- Intersection at Eisenhower Avenue and Mill Road:
- Addition of a second left turn lane from westbound Eisenhower Avenue onto Mill Road and new corresponding receiving lane on Mill Road.
- Intersection at Eisenhower Avenue and Holland Lane:
- Conversion of the roundabout at Eisenhower Avenue and Holland Lane to a "T" intersection.
- Full width resurfacing of Eisenhower Avenue between Holland Lane and Mill Road.
Sidewalk and Bicycle Facility Improvements
Enhancements vary by location. All sidewalks will receive new curb ramps for improved accessibility by Persons with Disabilities. Additional enhancements may include street lighting, high visibility crosswalks, countdown pedestrian signals, and additional signage.
- Eastbound Eisenhower Avenue:
- Mill Road to Elizabeth Lane
- Elizabeth Lane and Hooffs Run Drive (new curb ramps only)
- Hooffs Run Drive and Holland Lane
- Westbound Eisenhower Avenue sidewalks:
- Elizabeth Lane to Mill Road
- Holland Lane to John Carlyle Drive
A new eastbound bike lane will also be added between Hooffs Run Drive and Holland Lane. (As future private redevelopment occurs adjacent to Eisenhower Avenue, new improved and widened sidewalks will be required, as well as dedicated bicycle facilities.)
- Phase: Construction
- Construction Start Date: December 2020
- Site Mobilization Start Date: January 2021
- Duration: 18 months
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Traffic will be maintained along Eisenhower Avenue and Holland Lane during construction, but anticipate slightly longer travel times
- Access to business will be maintained at all times
- Construction will be coordinated with the RiverRenew program for the Combined Sewer System
ACCESSIBILITY AND MAINTENANCE OF TRAFFIC PLAN (COMING SOON)
Construction Open House (Virtual) - December 15, 2020
via Zoom Webinar
- Responses to Community Questions (Please note: Additional information and question responses will be posted.)
Design Public Hearing - April 4, 2013
Lee Center, Alexandria, VA
- Public Hearing Brochure
- Design Public Hearing Presentation - April 4, 2013
- Eisenhower Avenue Concept Plan
- Eisenhower Avenue Public Meeting Transcript
- Design Public Hearing Comments
- Design Public Hearing Advertisement
Design Public Hearing Letter
- Eisenhower Avenue Widening Project Landscape Plans
Memo to Council: Additional Funding Request - January 7, 2020
- Resolution No. 2561 - May 28, 2013
- Categorical Exclusion Documentation - August 10, 2012
- Eisenhower Avenue Widening - Corridor-Wide Traffic Impact Study Report - November 16, 2009
- City Plans
For more information, please email DPI Project Manager Demond Frazier or call 703.746.4632.